September 21, 2009
Content campaigns should be separate from Search campaigns, granted…
The methodology I am suggesting is based on a few underlying premises:
- There is some difficulty gaining “traction” in the content network
- The Ad testing “life cycle” must be longer than search ads
- True Ad testing occurs only when ads are created at same time!
photo by: Rat Goddess
The main differences in my content testing methods, compared to search are as follows:
- Begin with 5 ads, versus 2-3
- Spend more time creating content ads; the testing cycle will be comparatively much longer
- I commonly delete losing ads, ie. whittling down from 5 ads to maybe 1 or 2, before I'm ready to begin aknew with maybe 3-5 brand new ads, with no stats.
- I less frequently will "start over", ie. erase all ad stats, and begin the horse race again, and when I do, I will be careful to do this on a Monday or Tuesday, avoiding the weekend approval lag time.
You may decide to only work thru several adgroups at a time. You may prefer to create totally new ad concepts or concentrate on formatting variations, you decide.